Buying games in Russia has become very difficult. Many services are completely and partially blocked, but in most cases it is still possible to bypass the restrictions. In this guide, you will learn how to get games on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series and Nintendo Switch consoles, as well as mobile devices running iOS and Android.
The most popular store for digital versions of games Steam, unfortunately, does not accept payment methods from Russia. Fortunately, thanks to QIWI, it is still possible to bypass this limitation. To do this, you need to do the following:
1. Register on QIWI official website.
2. Get the account status “Main” on the “Wallet Status” page. To do this, you need to fill in passport data or link a State Services account.
3. By default, your account will be in rubles, but the currency must be changed to tenge. Go to the “Account Management” section, and then click on the “Open a New Account” link.
4. Select the tenge currency and click on the “Open an account” button.
5. On the same page, opposite the tenge account created for you, click on the “Set as main” button.
6. Now you can replenish your account by clicking on the appropriate link in the upper right corner.
7. Select the method of replenishment by “Bank card”.
8. Fill in the card details. Important! Don’t forget to switch the currency to tenge.
9. After you complete the replenishment of the QIWI Wallet, go to the search (magnifying glass icon) and enter the word Steam in the field. In the results, select “Steam (Kazakhstan)”.
10. Enter your Steam login (the one that is entered during authorization). Make sure that KZT wallet is selected and enter the amount in tenge. Click on the “Pay” button.
11. After that, your Steam Wallet will be replenished in rubles, and you can use it to buy games.
Epic Games Store
At the moment, the Epic Games Store is the only major store that allows you to buy games without any restrictions. Not to be unfounded, I even purchased the Car Tuning Simulator game for 15 rubles, and the payment was successful through my MasterCard card. Therefore, no dances with a tambourine are needed. It is to be hoped that the situation will not change.
Unfortunately, there are currently no workarounds for buying games in the Russian PlayStation Store. The only way out is create a separate account in any other country convenient for you (for example, the USA) and buy recharge cards on various third-party sites, which we will not talk about. The most important thing is that the payment card is required for the country that you specified when creating your account.
If you have a PlayStation 4 or a PlayStation 5 disc version, then you can buy discs with already released games. They work without any restrictions. The only problem you may face is upgrading games from PS4 to PS5. They will require a separate account in another country.
On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, there are two main ways to buy games. The first is activation keys. Unlike the PlayStation, there are special keys for the Xbox that can be entered in the store to get a particular game. You can find them on various sites, but be careful when buying. Trust only trusted sites, and if this is a trading platform, then carefully study the sellers and read reviews about them so as not to stumble upon scammers.
Keys can be activated directly in the browser of a computer or phone by going to special page. In some cases, you will need to enable the VPN service.
The second way is buying through intermediaries. It can be your friend who lives in one of the countries where there is officially no Microsoft division (for example, Kazakhstan). The fact is that they have the opportunity to select any region and link a map of any country. This allows you to buy games, for example, through Argentina, where prices are much lower. If you trust a person, then ask him to buy you a gift and transfer money to him.
There are also various communities and VKontakte groups that help users purchase any game for a small fee. The markup is usually 100-200 rubles, but it still turns out to be cheaper than at the official dollar rate. Again, be very careful when looking for a seller – there are a lot of scammers on the network.
In order to buy games in eShop, you need to change the country in account settings to any other that has no restrictions (for example, the United States).
This feature is not available if you have auto-renewal enabled for your Nintendo Online subscription. Now to disable it, you need to write to the support service at the following email address: email@example.com
After the change, you will be able to replenish your account using payment cards, which must be purchased on third-party sites. Carefully study sellers so as not to stumble upon scammers! Also note that the top-up card must be for the country you selected in the settings.
If you do not want to carry out these actions with your main account, you can create an additional one and buy games through it. Please indicate your preferred country when registering.
However, the most reliable way is to buy cartridges. They can still be found in various stores and work without any restrictions.
You can still buy iOS games and apps using your mobile phone account. However, this method is available only for Beeline, MegaFon, MTS, YOTA and Tele2 subscribers.
1. Go to the App Store and click on your avatar in the top right corner.
2. Select the very first item with your name and email.
3. Next, click on the “Manage payment methods” item.
4. Go to the “Add payment method” section.
5. Choose the “Mobile phone” method, and enter your phone number below.
6. After that, click “Submit” in the upper right corner. When buying a game or application, money will be debited from your mobile phone account, but with a certain commission.
Until recently, on Android, you could pay for purchases on Google Play, just like on iOS, using your mobile phone bill. Unfortunately, this method does not work now, so there are no more opportunities to legally purchase games and programs in the store (if you know one, then write to me in private messages – I will supplement the guide).
Fortunately, Android is a completely open platform. If you really want to, you can set sail and set sail on a pirate ship… But I didn’t tell you anything!