Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord is finally out! But, like most games these days, it has its fair share of issues and you can experience lag and stuttering. That’s probably why you’re reading this guide.
Here we will help you to squeeze the maximum frame rate out of your computer. Optimize Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord for the best gaming experience. Our tips will help you deal with lag, stuttering, consistently low framerates, stuttering, spikes in latency, game crashes, and sudden framerate drops.
First of all, you will need to make sure that your PC meets the system requirements below. If this is not the case, then this is probably the reason for the FPS problems, and we recommend that you upgrade your PC.
Minimum system requirements
- Operating system: Windows 7 (64-bit only)
- CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 / AMD Ryzen 3 1200
- Memory: 6 GB
- Video card: Intel UHD Graphics 630 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Disk space: 60 GB
Recommended system requirements
- Operating system: Windows 10 (64-bit only)
- CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- Memory: 8 GB
- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB / AMD Radeon RX 580
- Disk space: 60 GB
Whether your PC meets the above requirements or not, this guide will allow you to significantly increase your frame rate. Let’s start with the most obvious.
Update your graphics card drivers
It may sound trite, but updating your drivers is really the first thing to try, because usually new drivers from AMD and NVIDIA are able to significantly increase the frame rate. It’s easy and no different than updating any other software.
Open AMD Radeon Software (for AMD graphics cards) or NVIDIA GeForce Experience (for NVIDIA graphics cards) and check for updates. If they are available, download and install them.
Best Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord Graphics Settings
The next step is to optimize the settings in the game itself. This is probably what you came here for, so let’s get started.
Please note that these settings are geared towards high performance. If you have a powerful PC and don’t want to sacrifice graphics quality for performance, you can skip this step. But if your PC barely meets the minimum or recommended system requirements, stay tuned.
- Run Mount and Blade 2: Banner Lord
- Click on an item Options in the main menu (the game is not localized, so all titles will be in English)
- Click on tab video
- Install Display Mode in full screen
- Install Screen Resolution in Desktop Resolution
- Install Resolution Scale equal one hundred. You can try experimenting with this parameter by setting it to 95 and improved graphics quality. Some have reported that this method gives good results, but we haven’t tried it.
- Set value frame limiter equal to the default refresh rate of your monitor (for example, 144 or 60). If the frame rate is constantly jumping and you don’t like it, you can try lowering the value, but at 60 there are usually no problems.
- Install v-sync into meaning None
- Install Sharpen Amount equal 0.00
- Click on tab Performance
- Set Parameter Battle Size:
- 500 or higher if you have a good processor and graphics card
- 200-250 for better performance
- Install overall into meaning Custom
With a sufficiently powerful video card (with 6 GB of video memory and higher), this parameter can be set to high or Very High. However, we did not notice a significant difference between the settings Very High And Medium.
- Install shader quality into meaning Medium
- Set parameter Texture Streaming Budget:
- low – if your graphics card has 1 GB VRAM or less
- Medium – if your video card has 2-4 GB of video memory
- high – if your video card has 4-6 GB of video memory
- Very High – if your video card has 6 GB of video memory or more
- Install texture quality into meaning Medium
- Install shadow quality into meaning low
- Install Shadow Type into meaning None
- Install Shadow Filtering into meaning None
- Install Particle Detail into meaning low
- Install Particle Quality into meaning low
- Install Foliage Quality into meaning low
- Install Character Detail into meaning Medium
- Install Environment Detail into meaning Low. This setting has a significant effect on performance.
- Install Terrain Quality into meaning Medium
- Install Number of Ragdolls into meaning . If you need more realistic movement of bodies and you are sure that your video card can handle it, then set it to five.
- Install Occlusion Method into meaning None
- Install texture filtering into meaning trilinear
- Install water quality into meaning low
- Install Anti-Aliasing into meaning None.
This setting has a very serious effect on performance. If you run into anti-aliasing graphics issues, you can increase the value to Temporal SMAA.
- Install Lighting Quality into meaning low
- Install Decal Quality into meaning low
- Install Depth of Field into meaning Disable
- Install Screen Space Reflection into meaning On
- Install Cloth Simulation into meaning Off
- Install Interactive Grass into meaning Off
- Install Sunshafts into meaning Off
- Install Subsurface Scattering into meaning Off
- Install Tesselation into meaning Off
- Install Bloom into meaning Off
- Install Film Grain into meaning Off
- Install motion blur into meaning Off
We generally do not recommend setting any parameters to Very Low. In addition, if the frame rate exceeds your expectations after applying these settings, you can fine-tune the settings according to your preferences in order to achieve the best graphics at an acceptable frame rate.
Optimizing NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, the NVIDIA Control Panel settings can be optimized as follows:
- open NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click on an item Adjusting picture settings with preview on the left side of the tab 3D settings.
- Click Custom settings focusing on and move the slider towards the value Performanceif it’s not already there.
- Click Apply.
Fine! Now let’s set up some settings specifically for Mount and Blade 2:
- Click Manage 3D settings.
- Click Software settings.
- Select from the drop down menu Mount and Blade 2: Banner Lord.
- Set parameter Power management mode into meaning Maximum performance. You may need to compare this option with the mode Optimum power supplybecause the effect depends on the specific video card.
- Set parameter Preferred refresh rate into meaning Maximum available.
- Turn on Shader caching.
- Set parameter Texture Filtering – Quality into meaning High performance.
- Disable option Triple buffering.
- Disable option Vertical sync pulse.
- Set parameter Pre-prepared virtual reality footage equal to 1.
If you’re playing on a laptop, make sure your preferred GPU is selected High-performance NVIDIA processor
AMD Radeon Settings Optimization
If you have an AMD graphics card, the settings can be optimized as follows:
- open Radeon settings.
- Click on tab Games.
- Click on a section global settings.
- In step Anti-aliasing mode select Override application settings.
- Install Smoothing level in 2X.
- Turn on Anisotropic filtering mode.
- Install Anisotropic filtering level in 2X.
- IN Texture Filtering Quality select Performance.
- IN Wait for vertical update select Always off.
- IN Tessellation mode select Override application settings.
- Install Max tessellation level at 32x or lower.
Windows update optimization
Next, we can take a simple step that will free up some resources:
- open Update and Security on the panel Windows settings.
- Click Delivery optimization.
- Make sure the setting Allow downloads from other computers disabled
We also recommend turning off OneDrive when you’re not using it. Right-click the OneDrive icon on the taskbar and click Close OneDrive.
If you’re using Discord to communicate while playing, or if it’s just running when you’re playing alone, it can also be quickly optimized. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open Discord and go to the page Application settings.
- Click on an item Appearance and disable the option hardware acceleration.
- Click on an item Overlay.
- Make sure the setting Enable in-game overlay disabled.
Optimizing Google Chrome
If you use Google Chrome, hardware acceleration should also be disabled:
- Open Google Chrome and visit the page Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and open the tab Additional.
- Scroll all the way down again and disable the option Use hardware acceleration (if available).
- Disable option Do not disable services running in the background when the browser is closed.
- Restart Google Chrome.
You can improve performance by enabling a high performance power plan. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the menu Start.
- Enter in the search bar powercfg.cpl and press Enter.
- Select scheme High performance.
Enable game mode
Windows 10 has a so-called Game Mode that we recommend enabling:
- Open the menu Start.
- Enter Game Mode and press Enter.
- Make sure the option is enabled Game mode
If you have Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord installed on the HDD (which we don’t recommend), you can significantly speed up the loading time by moving the game to the SSD (if available).
That’s all! We hope that you were able to increase the frame rate and enjoy the game much more.
A source: gamingscan.com