If you want to get off to a good start in State of Decay 2 and have a chance at surviving and building a thriving community, there are a few important steps you need to take to ensure you are well prepared and provided with all the necessary items or information to further grow your community of survivors.
1. Before you start the game, you need to make the first important decision, namely the choice of the first two heroes that you will lead from the very beginning of the story. Choose wisely and try to read all the skills that each Hero has to offer you, or use the information in the following parts of this guide.
2. Find a small camp where you can meet two other survivors. From there, you will learn that you need to obtain or craft a cure for your companion to protect them from the Blood Plague disease.
3. Choose one of the 3 available locations, then find a suitable base location. Before you can take over the building for your own use, you need to check all the rooms in it and destroy all the zombies that live there. This applies every time you want to set a different base or a smaller starting point.
4. Get resources to build an infirmary. The hospital is needed in order to create a cure for the Blood Plague and save the life of your companion. What’s more, you’ll be able to treat your heroes for other conditions, such as injuries at a medical clinic.
5. Use high altitude places like high radio towers or big billboards to scan your area and find out where you can get your main resources and where you can find weapons and ammo.
6. Keep an eye on your community’s current needs and try to meet them, such as clearing out the base, getting extra food, or completing quests.
7. Use the radio to communicate with your community or other survivors you may encounter during the game. You can also use the radio to request places where you can find the most needed resources (you have to pay influence points for this option).
8. When you receive a radio command from a neighbor who miraculously survived the apocalypse, try to help him, because in return he will give you valuable information about the whereabouts of medical supplies. What’s more, it will help you obtain the missing blood samples needed to create a cure for the Blood Plague. In addition, he will accompany you in your attempt to destroy the first blood plague.
9. Make sure your community has access to electricity and water – you will boost the morale of the group and improve the functioning of the base.
10. Try to get a vehicle. You can return to the city of your choice. An efficient vehicle will be essential for moving quickly between the three large areas of the game world.