December 2023 can, in principle, be called a rich month for MMORPGs, because games in this genre are released very rarely. This time there are two of them, and one of them is a long-awaited new product, although so far only for South Korea. However, we won’t bore you and move on to the main part of the article. Let’s see what gamers will be playing in December 2023.
Although Xtract releases on November 30th rather than December, we decided to make an exception for this game since the exact date was announced just a few days before the release. This multiplayer shooter will be released on the VK Play store and will be distributed free of charge. By the way, a Western analogue called HAWKED is expected on the same day, but, according to the developers, the project no longer has anything to do with it and will develop independently.
Xtract is a third-person extraction adventure shooter set in an alternate future. Alone or as part of a group, you will travel to the newly discovered Isle of X, where hidden ruins and temples are full of treasures. In search of valuable loot, you will be confronted not only by monsters, but also by other players. To win, you must obtain the main artifact and deliver it to the GRAIL organization, but all hunters can return with prey in their pockets.
Throne and Liberty
Without exaggeration, the long-awaited new product called Throne and Liberty will be released on December 7th. True, so far we are only talking about the South Korean version, and the global one is expected sometime in 2024. However, this will not stop fans hungry for the genre from rushing to Korean servers to evaluate the project. Moreover, the client already has English.
Throne and Liberty features a large open world in which you can travel while transforming into animals. The game features a variety of activities, including large-scale sieges, boss raids, classic dungeons, and random map events. In addition, the developers did a good job on the plot and lore of the game, so we can expect beautiful videos, charismatic characters and interesting stories.
The Day Before
The long-suffering project The Day Before will be released in early access on December 7 on PC. The game was postponed more than once for one reason or another, and once its name was in jeopardy due to a conflict related to copyright. For a long time, some did not even believe in the existence of the project. Fortunately, all these stories are behind us, and very soon we will be able to independently evaluate the new product from the Yakut studio FNTASTIC.
The Day Before is a multiplayer third-person shooter with survival elements, where players must try to stay alive in a post-pandemic America. The country is overrun by hungry infected and survivors, killing each other for food, weapons and cars. The project was developed on the Unreal Engine 5 and is being prepared for release first on PC, and in the future on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles.
Smalland: Survive the Wilds
If for some reason you did not like the game Grounded or are looking for something similar, then Smalland: Survive the Wilds may be a good alternative. The project was released in early access back in March of this year, and on December 7 there will be a full release. At the same time, it is expected to be released on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles.
However, the developers are not going to stop there. They plan to continue updating the game after release, adding more new content: the big world will expand, deepen and become more complex.
Smalland: Survive the Wilds is a survival simulator reminiscent of Obsidian Entertainment’s Grounded. In this game, you take on the role of a reduced person who will have to survive by building a shelter, creating equipment, and fighting or taming insects. You can invite up to nine allies in multiplayer and optionally enable PvP to challenge other players.
Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora
The Avatar universe is quite poor in games, so Ubisoft decided to correct this shortcoming by releasing the first-person action game Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora on December 7. True, the first reviews from critics say that this is a reskin of Far Cry, which may be both a plus and a minus for some. We just have to wait for the release to evaluate it personally.
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandor will take place during the 2022 release of Avatar: The Way of Water. However, you should not expect any intersections in the plots. The project will tell its own story, which will unfold in the remote western part of the planet Pandora. However, there will still be certain references – for example, General Ardmore is mentioned in the game. Gameplay-wise, it will be a first-person action game with an open world where you can find many activities. Co-op for two players is also announced.
Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
Our selection includes an anime-style fighting game called Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising. True, this is not a full-fledged new game, but an improved version of Granblue Fantasy Versus, released in 2020. The release will take place on December 14 on PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising will differ from the original with new content and various improvements. The game will be replenished with new characters, new chapters of the story campaign and new mechanics, etc. The graphics will also be changed while maintaining the style. Alas, there is no discounted upgrade available – the game will have to be purchased again at full price.
Moonlight Blade Mobile
Fans, apparently, will not wait for the release of MMORPG Moonlight Blade on the global market. But an alternative will appear on mobile platforms in the form of Moonlight Blade Mobile. The English version will be released on December 18 on iOS and Android devices. A PC client will also be available, which is a direct port.
It is worth noting that Moonlight Blade Mobile will also be released in Russia, but this will happen at least a year after the global release. So those who want to play in Russian will have to be patient.
Moonlight Blade Mobile is a mobile MMORPG in a traditional Chinese style, based on the universe of the computer game Moonlight Blade Online. This project features 6 main clans, such as Taibai (swordsman), Blossom (healer), Mights (spearman), Tangmen (puppeteer), Beggars (drunken master) and Yihua (support). Players can compete against each other in PVP modes or fight side by side in PVE. There are also a variety of professions in the game, including cooking, fishing and hunting.
That’s all! Let’s move on to the rest of the gaming industry events in December 2023:
- In December, co-op shooter Warframe will receive a major update, Whispers in the Walls.
- Survival simulator ARK: Survival Ascended will reach PlayStation 5 in December.
- The Tales from Centauron add-on for the 4X strategy Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova is expected to be released in December.
- Closed beta testing of the Stormgate strategy will take place in December.
- The appearance of a new character, Battle Mage, in the fighting game DNF Duel is scheduled for December.
- The first closed beta testing of the MMORPG sandbox WorldShards will take place in December.
- Technical beta testing of the action-adventure role-playing game Crystal of Atlan will take place in December.
- The battle royale game Ring of Elysium will close on December 1st.
- The next major update for turn-based RPG Honkai: Star Rail will be released on December 5th.
- The new story expansion Valley of the Zeke for the co-op shooter World War Z: Aftermath will be released on December 5th.
- On December 5, the multiplayer first-person shooter Overwatch 2 will begin Season 8, which will add a new character, Mauga.
- MOBA Predecessor closed beta testing on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 will run from December 5th to January 5th.
- The new champion Hwei will appear in MOBA League of Legends on December 6th.
- From December 7 to 11, closed alpha testing of the extraction shooter EVE Vanguard will take place.
- On December 7, co-op will appear in the medieval survival simulator Medieval Dynasty.
- The second closed beta testing of the survival simulator Once Human will begin on December 7.
- Multiplayer third-person shooter Veiled Experts will close on December 14th.
- Isometric Roguelike shooter ANVIL will close on December 31st on Xbox.