Below is a translation of a guide from dotesports.com dedicated to fishing in MMORPG New World. Since the game has not been officially translated into Russian, we have left the original names in brackets so that it is clear what is at stake.
To start fishing in New World, you need to get your first fishing rod. To do this, you need to create it. The Tier One Wooden Fishing Pole is very easy to craft with the Engineering skill. Crafting requires one Fiber and one Green Wood. You can get green wood from bushes or by chopping trees using logging skills, and to get fiber, you need to collect some Hemp.
How to fish in New World
Like many MMOs, New World has a fishing mechanic that requires player involvement. To start fishing, press F3 (default) near any body of water. Press and hold the rod throw key, then a moving counter will appear. Releasing the button, you set the range of application, depending on the value on the counter. Casting range matters, so always aim for the farthest range possible.
When the fish approaches, you will see a Get ready! Message and then a special icon will be displayed. If you hit too early or too late, you will lose fish. As soon as the fish is on the hook, an icon will appear on the screen, the color of which changes from green to orange. Hook the fish until the indicator turns orange. When this happens, release a little until the color reverts to green before you start cropping again. After the white frame around the circle is full, you can catch fish and see your catch.
How to make fishing faster
There are a few things to keep in mind to speed up your fishing trip. Improving your tools, adding buffs and optimizing your gear will all help you level up your fishing skill faster. Throwing in deep water is always faster than in shallow water, as fish bite faster at depth, so always aim to fish in these places. When you cast the line, the game will tell you where you are doing it – in shallow water or in deep water.
The wooden fishing rod is for initial use only and should be upgraded as soon as possible. You can increase the level of a fishing rod by making an improved one or by purchasing one at the trading post. Below are the main levels of fishing rods.
- Wooden fishing rod (Wooden Fishing Pole)
- Treated wood fishing rod (Treated Wood Fishing Pole)
- Aged Wood Fishing Pole (Aged Wood Fishing Pole)
- Wyrdwood fishing rod (Wyrdwood Fishing Pole)
- Ironwood fishing rod (Ironwood Fishing Pole)
Early on, you can craft a Treated Wood Fishing Pole by crafting materials. To do this, you will need 12 Timber, 3 Coarse Leather and 3 linen – all of these materials are readily available at the start of the game.
How to get level 5 fishing rods
Three legendary rods such as the Legendary Azoth Fishing Pole, Legendary Strength Fishing Pole and Legendary Tech Fishing Pole can be obtained by completing the quest line, but the rest of the 5th level rods are obtained by mobs … Shown below is where to find fishing rods and the recommended level for your character.
- Corrupted Fishing Pole (Corrupted Fishing Pole) – Level 42 – Dropped by Foreman Robertson in the Great Cleave
- Angry Land Fishing Rod (Angry Earth Fishing Pole) – Level 46 – Dropped by Parthenocissus on Restless Shore
- Lost fishing rod (Lost Fishing Pole) – Level 60 – Dropped by Smoothbore Samuel in Reekwater.
- Ancient fishing rod (Ancient Fishing Pole) – Level 60 – Dropped by Smoothbore Samuel in Reekwater.
Where to find bait
You can attach bait to the fishing rod to increase the rate of pecking or increase the rarity of the fish. The bait that drops from some enemies can be obtained through gathering or crafted through the Cooking skill.
There are different types of bait for different types of bodies of water. By using the Salt Water Bait and Fresh Water Bait, you will increase your chance of catching rare or larger fish.
Salt water bait:
- Fish bait (Fish Bait) – Crafted by Cooking – 150% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Snail bait (Snail Bait) – Obtained from snails – 300% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Electric eel bait (Electric Eel Bait) – Obtained from Electric Eels – 500% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Cheese bait (Cheese Bait) – Crafted by Cooking or in Provisions Containers – 47% higher chance of catching rare fish
- Nightworm Lure (Nightcrawler Bait) – Gathering Flint in the afternoon or evening – 70% higher chance of catching rare fish
- Glow Worm Bait (Glowworm Bait) – Gathering Flint at night or at dawn – 80% higher chance of catching rare fish
Fresh water bait:
- Meat bait (Meat Bait) – Crafted by Cooking – 150% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Clam bait (Clam Bait) – Harvested from Clams – 300% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Oyster bait (Oyster Bait) – Harvested from Oysters (Oyster) – 500% higher chance of catching larger fish
- Bread bait (Bread Bait) – Crafted from Cooking or Provisions Containers – 47% higher chance of catching rare fish
- Wood lice bait (Woodlouse Bait) – Harvested from Bushes – 70% higher chance of catching rare fish
- Firefly bait (Glowworm Bait) – Made from Briar Plants and Bulrush Plants – 85% higher chance of catching rare fish.
Where to fish
It is best to look for rare and large fish in hotspots. They come in different tiers: from one to three stars. The types of fish you can catch depend on the shooting range and location. Hot spots stand out noticeably in the water, and when fishing, you need to aim at them. Try to get to the fishing spot quickly as there are only a certain number of fish in each hotspot.
New World has equipment that can be equipped to receive buffs while fishing. These are the Hood, Smock, Gloves, Pants and Boots of the Vengeful Fisherman. Equipping the entire set will give you a 60% increase in the chance of catching rare fish, a 200% increase in the chance of catching a large fish, a 9% increase in casting distance and 100 focus.
Perks can be applied to a fishing rod using a specific item or using Azoth. There are 11 different fishing perks, and each has three tiers that provide buffs.